Friday, March 23, 2007

bald eagle party


Driving home from Tracy's funeral, somewhere between Dubuque and Iowa City, IA my husband and I saw this field with all these large birds flying around, on the ground and in trees. We stopped to take pictures. I was convinced they were bald eagles, my husband wasn't. He thought they might be osprey. I looked up pictures on the Cornell Lab of Orinthology webpage "All About Birds" http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Bald_Eagle.html and I say they are definately Bald Eagles. Bald Eagles don't get their white feathers until they are at least 5 years old. That would explain the number of birds we saw without white heads and tails.
I know the pictures are hard to see but I think if you click on them you can zoom in and see the ones in the trees even. It was amazing.


No comments: